Real Style shopping fashion bomb tv Style File Look for Less Breaking into Fashion Claires Life What to Wear Trends Designers Fashion News

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Discount Shopping? Yes Please!

"You know why these clothes are on sale, Mom? Because the kids who wear them get beaten up"--Bart from the Simpsons.

Not true, Bart! Not all discount clothes are ugly cast offs!

So I had brunch with some friends at La Bottega at the Maritime Hotel (88 Ninth Avenue between 15th and 16th)...which is a great place to eat for the ambiance (especially in the summer months). Unfortunately the food is subpar...I had cornmeal pancakes that were burnt and smothered in butter ($9), salty pork sausage ($3), and a mimosa ($12). Expensive for food that doesn't even satisfy. Anyway afterwards we decided to do a little shopping.

Our first stop was the Barney's Co-op...and I thought that since it was like the 'Basement' of Barney's that stuff would be affordable. BOY WAS I WRONG!!! Everything in there is over $100 easy...but I did see this great coat that I might invest in once the weather outside is frightful...

Here it is:



It's by Vince which is a chi chi poo poo brand. The coat is $595 which is sort of a travesty...but it's cute and will keep me super warm. Remember, scrimp on small stuff, but invest in the big ones. A winter coat is defo an investment piece! To quote fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi, "All clothes are a form of armor, but a winter coat most of all...You wear it constantly...it comforts you and makes you feel protected..." Invest ladies! But...that's for a future purchase.

Anyway the good thing about Barney's Co-op is that they have spectacular sales.

Here's a picture:



Visit the store (236 West 18th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues) and just ask the cashier to be on their mailing list so you can know when to catch a sale. You can also check out a few of their wares at www.barneyscoop.com.

So yeah Barney's was a JOKE, so my friends and I moved on to shopping that was more our speed (i.e. our price range). We two-stepped over to Loehmann's (101 7th Avenue between 16th and 17th):



Usually I don't like places like Loehmann's...racks and racks of clothes, people pushing and shoving (especially on Saturdays), open dressing rooms (abs no privacy so wear your good undies), anyway...I FOUND SUCH GOOD STUFF. I'd say for Loehmann's, don't go to the shoe section...forget the bag section...don't mess with the juniors, sportswear, whatever. Make a beeline for the 3rd floor for their designer dresses (I saw Diane Von Furstenberg, Vera Wang, and BCBG Max Azria), and to the 4th floor for super designer brands like Nanette Lepore, Theory, Walter, and Marc Jacobs. Yes. Marc Jacobs. It's pretty hit or miss, but if you frequent I'm sure you can find a DVF wrap dress for 75% off. It's worth it.

This is what I found for a black tie event I'm going to in a few weeks:



That's right ladies. A hot Nicole Miller Collection dress. It's a season old, I know, I know...I remember seeing it in Bloomingdales full price at $310 a year ago and lusting after it...and just wishing I could afford it. Well, it was $80 (about 75% off) at Loehmann's, and I just couldn't pass it up! How often do you find a black tie worthy dress for $80?!?! So yeah, I bought it. I can't wear a bra with it, so I'll have to get the straps shortened. A small bit of tailoring, but I think it's a winner. [Update: Getting the straps shortened only cost me $10!]

I also got this jacket by Walter (swanky designer sold at Saks):



Not sure if you can tell, but this jacket is hot! It's a jacquard print cropped 3/4 sleeved jacket that would look great over a black dress or even over a camisole with a pair of skinny leg jeans (and ballet flats). This jacket was originally $330, and it was at Loehmann's for $80. It's worth it guys. Maybe I need to invest in a mannequin so you can see stuff better...

So my friends and I left Loehmann's with lots of great stuff. One friend found a Steve Madden down coat for $80 with an extra 15% off because she's a card carrying member and her birthday was today...another friend got some Joe's Jeans for $40...

Defo check it out!
Go to www.loehmanns.com to find a Loehmann's location near you...

Smootches!

0 comments: