Real Style shopping fashion bomb tv Style File Look for Less Breaking into Fashion Claires Life What to Wear Trends Designers Fashion News

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

New Talent Alert! Parson's Graduate Fashion Show

"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.”--Coco Chanel
So yesterday during lunch I made my way over to the Grand Hyatt Ballroom at Grand Central...

...to view Parson's Graduate Fashion Show. While Fashion Week in NYC is great, it's always a special treat to see the future leaders in the game...the next Tom Fords, Marc Jacobs or Zac Posen's.
So when I reached the ballroom (late!) it was packed to the brim...

with parents, friends, and family. I squeezed in a seat in the back and settled in for the show.
Tim Gunn opened it up...

...saying that the show featured the cream of the crop of the graduating class and represented a diversity of perspective and skill.
While 25 students presented, I identified three Fashion Bomb worthy designers...here are a few of their looks.
First, I loved student Bora Hong's designs...

Click to Enlarge
...for her use of ruffle details and the bold color acid yellow. I can just see those ruffle jackets paired with jeans, over a black dress, or thrown on with a pencil skirt. I thought her designs were very pretty...avant garde yet wearable at the same time. She gets an A+!

My next favorite was Michael Venker...

Click to Enlarge
...perhaps I was seduced by the black models, but I liked his use of silk charmeuse, ethnic prints, and delicate hand beading. His foreign inspired designs were an unexpected treat...I look forward to tracking his progress.

Finally, there was Rachel Lerro...

Click to Enlarge
...I instantly fell in love with her back drape cotton and rayon jersey dress in mustard yellow. I also gave her long tops, knit tanks, and jackets a passing grade.

So stay tuned for future stories on these designers... And when you read about them in Elle, remember you heard it here first!
Smootches!
PS Kate Moss's new line premiered at TopShop in London today...

Kate Moss joins mannequins wearing her design in the window of Topshop in Oxford Circus
According to the Age, hundreds of shoppers lined up in the morning, but when doors opened, groups were let in for only 20 minutes at a time, were allowed to try on a maximum of 8 garments, and could only buy 5. The English are so orderly! If H&M did this, we'd avoid all those catfights over clothes!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow those folks are talented! funnily enough, last night was FIT's student fashion show as well. I heard Michael Kors & Vera Wang were supposed to be judging...
and as for Kate Moss' TopShop line -- did you know it's coming to Barneys CO-OP this spring??

xoxo, val

Anonymous said...

Those lines you picked out of the bunch looked hot...I would def wear stuff they designed.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for Kate's collection! Hope I can fit into something...