Real Style shopping fashion bomb tv Style File Look for Less Breaking into Fashion Claires Life What to Wear Trends Designers Fashion News

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Style File Intervention Edition: Serena Williams

"I'm a perfectionist. I'm pretty much insatiable. I feel there's so many things I can improve on."--Serena Williams

Hey Guys!
So instead of doing my normal 'style file' today, I decided to switch it up and do a 'style intervention' on tennis superstar, and athlete extraordinaire...

...Serena Williams.
Now Serena is gorgeous, talented, and has a body I would *kill* for...and as I wrote here, her match style is fly.
But while she dominates the court in bold colors and body skimming dresses...

...her red carpet choices are a bit...suspect. Let's take a look:

This dress, in a word, is gorgeous, but unfortunately the cut makes her look a little, well...masculine. While sleeveless styles should work for her, the armholes shine a spotlight on her toned, muscular arms...

This shift dress is dull, and unflattering....

...and the cut on the top of this dress makes her look more 'ironman' than superwoman.
She's worked too hard for her body to cover it up, but there are styles she can adopt to look a tad more feminine. And on rare occasions, she gets it right:

The strapless vs sleeveless looks diverts attention away from her jacked arms, and the bright pink screams girly girl.

And sleeves, sleeves...

...and more sleeves scream sophistication.
Much better, no?
The following dresses could also work for her body type:

Normal Kamali by Everlast Bandeau Mini Dress $225, shopbop.com
Venezia Dress in Black and White, $180, CoutureCandy


LaROK 'Billies' Jersey Dance Dress, $139, www.nordstrom.com; French Connection Leaf-Print Tunic/Dress, $98, www.macys.com
Now she can kill 'em on the carpet and the court.
Smootches!
PS Tons of women are walking around with the WRONG bra size (trust me, for years, I was MANY lettters off).
If you’re in NYC, Freya and Fantasie brands (which run from B-HH) are having FREE bra fittings tomorrow and Saturday and offering a special gift with purchase.

Click to Enlarge
Check it out!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah Serena, so talented (sigh). Thanks for showing some examples of fashion for differnt body types.

Anonymous said...

Her body's tight, but she has no style...

Anonymous said...

Serena needs a stylist STAT! I love your clothing choices for her. I think she also needs to work on her posing, too. Something about the way she stands with her shoulders forward highlights her "manly" arms too.

Anonymous said...

do you know who made that dress in the 5th picture? I love it.

i'm so glad that somebody has stepped in and helped ms. williams with her fashion choices

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Serena's style - and her body of course. She's the ultimate woman to me.