Real Style shopping fashion bomb tv Style File Look for Less Breaking into Fashion Claires Life What to Wear Trends Designers Fashion News

Friday, February 08, 2008

Mail Bombs + Contest!!

Hey Hey!
So sigh of relief: Today's the last day of Fashion Week! To be honest, the excitement level has been on a slow decline since the first weekend. I plan on hitting up Sean John tonight. That one should definitely be interesting!
In the meantime, I've gotten a record number of Mail Bombs (seems there are a few new readers...) and have a contest up my sleeve, so...
...Let's get started!
Newcomer Elizabeth says, "I've been trying to find this dress..."
"... Can you help me find something similar?!"
Hey! I couldn't find the exact dress, but these certainly could give you the Kim K essence:
Left to Right: Alice + Olivia Sequined Sweater Dress, $330, www.neimanmarcus.com; Michael Kors Runway Cashmere Turtleneck Dress, $627, www.eluxury.com; Mock Neck Bell Sleeve Dress, $84, CoutureCandy
Reader Ryan also had a sweater dress query, and says, "I am desperately trying to find out who made Christina Milian's sweater dress for the GM fashion show..."
"...Trying to suprise my girlfriend...any help would greatly be appreciated!"
How cute! Could this be for Valentine's day?
Anyway, since the GM event was a year ago, Christina's exact dress is most likely not in stores. But lucky you, I found a few substitutes:
Left to Right: Turtleneck Sweater Dress, $29, www.spiegel.com; Turtleneck Sweater Dress, $89, www.victoriassecret.com; Cable Babydoll Sweaterdress, $65, www.victoriassecret.com.
Hope she likes it!
Next, lots of people seem to have their sights set on the beach! Mimi says, "Okay so I know it's winter and about 30 degrees outside, but I really need a swimsuit. I'm kind of shy to show off my thighs, so I've been looking all over for a cute skirted swimsuit. Could you help me find one?"
Reader Kristen is also looking, and says, "I'm desperately trying to work on a budget for spring break. I want to find a cute bikini, preferably animal print and keep it under 100. I'm not trying to splurge on a swimsuit this year. PANAMA CITY HERE I COME!"
You guys are hilarious! Here are a few options, skirted or not, for less than $100:
Top Row: Diane von Furstenberg Chocolate Zebra Striped Halter, $96, www.bluefly.com; W Swim Exotic Paisley Halter and Skirted Bottom, $69, www.macys.com.


Reader Brittiny has a wardrobe question for a different type of weather. She says, "I was wondering if you could find some cute rain boots? Yesterday it stormed all day and there I was in the rain getting soaked. I realized I didn’t have rain boots; I need some. Do you have any ideas? I’m a student in college so I’m on a budget."
Everyone has to deal with the elements, but not everyone weathers it all in style. There are plenty of products out there under $100 that'll help you survive while looking chic:

Top Row: Matte Wedge Rain Boots, $20, www.target.com; Sperry Top-Sider 'Sadie' Rain Boot, $70, www.nordstrom.com.
Lastly, Erica says, "I have an inquiry about a fabulous dress that a fellow Fashion Bomber was sporting back in November...
"...I loved it! I've searched and searched, but could not find anything similar for the spring or summer in that color, perhaps you would know where I could find something that looks that great that I could rock?"
Hi Erica! The closest thing I could find to Bre's dress was this $148 Palm Burnout Dress...
...from www.ardenb.com. If that doesn't work, perhaps Bre can divulge where she found her frock?
Update: Bre’s dress is from Banana Republic, but it's last season! Lucky you, my sister Teri has the dress, and is totally cool selling hers. Erica, if you’re interested, e-mail her at terilili@aol.com.
That does it for Mail Bombs!
Now, since you guys love contests, I figure, what better time to have one?
I haven't really been focused so much on the runway in my posts, figuring that my hardcore fashionistas can go to sites like nymag.com and style.com for pictures and reviews available almost minutes after the show. But if you've been paying attention, you'd see that there's a lot more color on the runways--bravo!
In celebration, I'm going to give the first person to tell me the name of the model AND designer of the following looks (three separate answers)...
Click to enlarge
... a style consultation plus gift certificate to Fashion Bomb Fashion Week Sponsor:
...Pieces Boutique! As witnessed by a few of my Fashion Week wardrobe choices, Pieces stocks well-edited, chic items for the fashionista with discerning taste. Carrying brands like Marie Marie, Tibi, Vivienne Westwood, and LAMB, you're always bound to find something fresh to add to your repertoire. And owner Latisha Daring (shown here with husband Colin)...
...truly has a unique eye for style and will get your wardrobe ready for spring! Check out a bit of her work:
View more here.
That said, e-mail me at thefashionbomb@gmail.com with your answers. Good luck!
Smootches!
Fashion, News, and What Nots
* I understand there are a lot of newcomers to the blog, so here are a few tips for Mail Bombs:
~ Look under the Mail Bombs topic on the left hand side to make sure I haven't already found the answer to your question. If the dress/item you're looking for is 2 months old or more, you might get lucky. If not, e-mail away!
~Try to attach a picture of what you're looking for.
~If I haven't gotten around to your question, I'm really sorry! It's basically just me doing all the sleuthing (believe it or not), so I can only get a handful done every week. Be patient!
~If I haven't found an answer, and it's been a while, the reasons most likely are: 1. The item you seek isn't available online, 2. The item is custom made, or 3. I have no idea. But I try!
Thanks:)
*Have great weekends!
*More contests to come!
*Shop Pieces online store at www.piecesofbklyn.com or pay 'em a visit at 671 Vanderbuilt Avenue (at Park Place) in Brooklyn.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Claire, I just love your post. Really, I do...I hope you can make it to DC soon. Anyways, the blue dress that was inquired about was from Banana Republic' collection last spring. It's so pretty! Just thought I would share that. Keep up the FABULOUS work.

Anonymous said...

Hey! That blue dress the girl is asking about is Banana Republic from Last spring's collection...and I have it am thinking of posting it on ebay so if she's interested she should hit me up (terilili@aol.com)

Also, the top Sperry boots! I have those and LOVE them, only problem is after about 50 wears the rubber tore

:-(

Anonymous said...

So it took me awhile but I attempted the contest.. hopefully I got everything right.. I never win anything..lol

peace.love.happiness