Real Style shopping fashion bomb tv Style File Look for Less Breaking into Fashion Claires Life What to Wear Trends Designers Fashion News

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Looks I love: Ruffles!!!

"Open up your sleeves, man. Let your ruffles take the air. Let them flow. Let them ripple."--Leslie Howard as Percy Blakeney, the Scarlet Pimpernel


So I went to see the fabulous movie Dreamgirls over the Holidays and almost fell out of my chair when I saw Beyonce in this scene with Jamie Foxx...



Her makeup was absolutely *amazing*, but I adored her ruffled blouse most of all...I oooh'ed and aah'ed so much, I got the 'Shhhhhh!!!'

Though Dreamgirls is a period piece, ruffles transcend time and increase one's feminine factor exponentially. I found a few celebrity examples:
Mary J. looks banging in this ruffled frock she wore on a recent trip to South Africa...


And hot Halle Berry layers a vest and jacket over her ruffles...

...for understated elegance.

Elle magazine's January issue also has some great 'ruffle' examples....
Though I'm not a huge Jennifer Garner fan (at all), I fell in love with this Chiffon Chloe Blouse featured in her shoot...

...only $1,730.

Later on in the mag, there's a feature on the ever chic Chloe Sevigny...

...wearing a *hot* $4,800 party-ready Oscar de la Renta gown (that was also featured in Vogue this month on one of their writers, Florence Kane).

If you want to ruffle up your wardrobe, Macy's has this Michal Kors Tuxedo shirt...

...on sale for $38.99.

The French website La Redoute has this great ruffle trim sweater...

...on sale for $24.99

And the GAP has this cute Puff Sleeved Tuxedo Shirt...

...on sale for $19.99.

Now, cherchez le ruffle.

Smootches!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might ruffle a couple of feathers with this one Claire. Let's see.

moye said...

Oh my gosh, that Gap blouse is a must have.

Btw, guess who found me on facebook???

Anonymous said...

Bebe was selling a lot of Ruffle tops at the end of last year. But let me tell you, ruffles is not for everyone. I do think it is pretty in a old victorian way but it is not for everyone. I think it works best for a small chested girl. Effie White could not have pulled off ruffles.

Anonymous said...

Claire! You're spot on yet again! I totally noticed those items in Elle (isn't Chloe's dress ridiculous!?) and I actually have that Gap blouse. Wore it to a dinner and paired it with a black babydoll dress, black tights and black knee high boots. I felt very chic :)

XO

Anonymous said...

peace, this is a heavy blog. good stuff.