Real Style shopping fashion bomb tv Style File Look for Less Breaking into Fashion Claires Life What to Wear Trends Designers Fashion News

Monday, January 26, 2009

Designer B Michael On Criticisms of Michelle Obama

Not all African-American designers are up in arms over Michelle Obama's Fashion Choices! Designer B. Michael...
...issued the following press release after the Black Artists Association expressed their distaste:

"For the record I would like to state that the statement made on behalf of the Black Artists Association does not represent my point of view.
I understand their sensitivity and respect their right to express it.
I personally believe it is an unfair expectation to place on the First Lady. Fashion is subjective and a matter of personal choice.
As a designer of Color I would encourage the fashion industry, editors and media to lead the way and be more inclusive. True change in America is going to be a collective effort.
As an American Designer I am excited that Mrs. Obama, in her role as the First Lady, will heighten the awareness of American style which resonates into business and jobs in the fashion industry."
I applaud Mrs. Obama for her style and her choices. Most of all for wearing what really matters, dignity and grace."
Well said!

8 comments:

LaTanya B. said...

I am soo glad that a black fashion designer responded to the statement from the BAA. It's important that black designers be recognized because their talented instead of not being recognized because their black. If we just recognized black designers because they're black what will that do for us. President Obama didn't get into office because he's black. The BAA is missing the whole message. He didn't get into office so black people could ride his coat tail.

Unknown said...

Thank goodness for the voice of reason. I fully expect Mrs. Obama to continue to choose clothes that she likes rather than what is expected of her, as would we all if we were in the same position as her!

Harlemista said...

I'm extremely happy that B Michael spoke up. Not only has he separated himself from the fools, but he has also done the black public a favor by demonstrating to the mainstream media that no, we are not all self-obsessed, histrionic, hyper-sensitive whiners.

RJ said...

I love and respect everyone who commented above me!

Anonymous said...

Bravo!

M* said...

clap clap !!!

Alisa said...

wow!! im glad he spoke up. I was starting to think the BAA was full of a bunch of artists expecting a "hook up" from the First Lady.

Anonymous said...

I tend to want to agree with Tanya B. The new President and First Lady have bigger responsibilities to worry over, like economic mess that George Bush left and trying to get our economy and the political position of the country amongst other nations, and of course, representing in a positive light. That would seem to be their most important concerns right now.

They are the leaders of the entire country, and in an indirect way, the rest of the world as well, so I wouldn't expected them to be so obviously partial in every choice they make.

I respect and congratulate B. Michael for breaking away from the crowd to state his personal opinion. Read my previous comment under: "Day 2: Internship Contest", where I echoed a similar sentiment that it is up to the media and online blogs to educate readers and bring attention to black designers.