Real Style shopping fashion bomb tv Style File Look for Less Breaking into Fashion Claires Life What to Wear Trends Designers Fashion News

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Random Thoughts: Beyoncé & Rihanna Swap Styles, Grace Jones, Robin Givhan on Sarah Palin, Next Throwback?

Remember when people accused Rihanna’s style of being too much like Beyoncé’s?
Now some people are saying Bee is looking quite similar to Ri:
Does this mean we’ve come full-circle?
Off-topic, I would love to see them do a song together on some “The Boy is Mine 2009.” Not just for the song—can you imagine the video wardrobe??
Ever since Fashion Bomber Erica sent in that Grace Jones album cover, I've been obsessively watching GJ videos on the 'Tube. Especially "My Jamaican Guy":

So avant-garde and fashion-forward--GJ is underappreciated as a style icon, I think. BTW, recognize this song as the sample for another icon's sexy hip-hop classic?
I’m thinking about my next Throwback post and can’t decide what to do: Guess Jeans, Triple Fat Goose coats, or Re-Run Style?


Kidding! (on the last). But wait...hmm...Fred Berry's red, white, and green are giving me a crazy idea. Hmm! OK, I'm hyped. Off to start work on it now...
P.S. If you haven't already read it, I highly, highly recommend Robin Givhan's piece on Sarah Palin's style. As usual, Ms. Givhan is right on point (and funny) with her analysis.
~A

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i would LOVE to see B and Ri Ri in a video!!!
rerun style, LMAO

Jubilance said...

Please do a Throwback on both Guess and Triple Fat Goose! Growing up in MI, in high school in the late 90's both were necessary. I used to go to the Guess outlet to get all my outfits, and every winter I had a new Triple Fat Goose. Ahh, the memories....

Anonymous said...

Grace Jones is crazy!!!!!!! Is she really kissing a mannequin??? OMG...I vote for a throwback on Guess. Oh how I used to rock their jeans in junior high!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh I was thinking the exact thing about Rhi Rhi and Bee! Beyonce has been jacking some of Rihanna's steeze lately; she's gone minimalist and has a slightly edgier look with the black. My oh my, how things have changed...

I thought I was the only way who had noticed Bee's change over.

Anonymous said...

So about the Rihanna Beyonce thing.... The difference is, Rihanna had the "Beyonce" look before she had came into her own, that look was designed for her under the control of her label... As soon as she broke out and has started expressing her own very personal style, she's become an icon. With Beyonce, she's always had the same very glammed out look, now all of of a sudden she's toning things down and getting edgy- it doesn't look "like her", it looks like she's trying way too hard. That is NOT a coincidence, pure strategy to regain the "cool factor" Beyonce has lost since "Dangerously in Love". Rihanna has shown it pays to be yourself and not look so cookie cutter and like a package straight from some "Beyonce:Light long hair, jeweled out, custom clothing" factory or somethin. Now Beyonce's been seen in tees and skinny jeans and Ray-ban glasses looking laid back and alot like Rih. Come on now, don't try to steal her shine. Your Beyonce for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!Be you, Bey.

Erica Jordan said...

heyy! glad to see you been on the grace jones fix! i had mine earlier today lol. thanks for the shoutout!